Aston Martin Lagonda Global Holdings plc was started by Lionel Martin
and Robert Bamford in 1913, the company named Bamford and Martin, mainly
in the market of luxury sports cars and later grand tourers. Martin and
Bamford previously worked together selling and services vehicles, Martin
also spent time racing at Aston Hill, presumably influencing the future
name of the firm. The first car designed by the pair named Aston Martin
was a four-cylinder Coventry-Simplex engine on the chassis of a 1908
Isotta Fraschini. Further production of cars did not continue until 1915
because of the outbreak of World War I. After an influx of funding in
1920, in 1922 Aston Martin went on to compete in the French Grand prix
and setting speed and endurance records at Brookland. Using a 16-valve
twin cam engine the Green Pea, Razor Blade, and the Halford Special. The
company went bankrupt in 1924, and faced more financial difficulty in
1925, when Lionel Martin was forced to sell his shares of the company.
In 1925, then owner Dorothea, Lady Charnwood renamed the firm Aston
Under new ownership and designer Aston Martin came out with their T-type, International, Le Mans, the MKII, Ulster, the 15/98, and the Speed model; all designed with overhead-cam four cylinder engine, most were two seaters, but a few long chassis 4-seater tourers, dropheads, and saloons were produced. But again, after some racing success in England and internationally Aston Martin faced more financial problems in 1932, facing the Great Depression where the demand for luxury vehicles collapsed. But again, was saved, this time by Lance Prideaux Brune, and in 1936 Aston Martin made a focus change to road cars. This plan was ultimately halted due to the pressures of the war, where Aston Martin shifted production to airplane parts.
In 1947, David Brown acquired Aston Martin, shortly after began designing and production for the DB series of cars. The DB helped Aston Martin, regain its dominance on the racetrack throughout the 50's and the 60's, with the DB4 and DB5 especially standing out. From 54' to 65' the DBs utilized a six-cylinder engine and were mainly designed as grand touring vehicles. With the success of these vehicles David Brown was able to reestablish Aston Martin and pay off its debts in 1972, when it was sold to Company Developments, an investment bank. But again, faced financial trouble after the worldwide recession, and an issue developing to deal with an increase in US exhaust requirements put Aston Martin into receivership in 1974. The company firm was then sold again in 1975 to an American business owner, helping refocus the business in terms of marketing, and design pushing toward a more modern design. After success in the late 70's Aston market was again sold in 1981, and in 1982 was granted a Royal Warrant of Appointment by the Prince of Wales helping to aid in its popularity.
Click here to see if you qualify for the 1950 Aston Martin DB2
Call us at 1-800-USA-1965, or fill out our online application form.